1/02/2015

Day49 Oamaru to Palmerston

  Troy and Pauline...we met along SH1 just after I left Oamaru.


Breakfast was gorgeous here in Chimneys B&B.

I really enjoyed breakfast Shige made for me.


Riku, his eldest son seemed to love One-Tooth Geta.

He must have gone to bed with One-Tooth Geta on.

Left Oamaru after 8am saying goodbye to Shige and Riku.


Just after I left Oamaru, a pickup truck stopped in front of me.

A man got out of the car. He said his name was Troy the farmer.

He asked me so many questions showing his curiosity so much.

I answered all the questions and he gave me some gifts in return.

I got 3 pieces of pork steak and a dozen of free range eggs.

What surprised him most was the story of my running across the Nullarbor Plain, Australia.

“How crazy you are! I’ve driven across the Nullarbor before and I already knew how tough and hard it was.” he said.

“I’m wondering how many crazy runners like you there are in Japan!”

We chatted for about 20 minutes.

“I cannot something outrageous like you did but I really liked a crazy man like you!”

His wife Pauline appeared later and said, “You’re too skinny. Eat a lot to run across New Zealand.”

Troy shook my hand so tight and strong when we said goodbye.


Sunny but wind was chilly.

Cloudy afternoon. Lots of hills but had a flat road only the last 15km.

Last 10km was also a hill climb again.

Even entering the town of Palmerston I had to climb a hill.

The final hill was on the way to a motel from SH1.


Annet, the owner of the motel was kind enough to give me a discount. She offered me a room usually charged 100 dollars for 80.



*Distance Today: 60.83km

*Total Distance from Auckland: 1604.64km

*See Where I am

*See More Photos 

No comments:

Post a Comment