1/24/2015

Day71 Cromwell to Omakau



Last night I went to bed at 8pm, it was pretty hot with the roof heated.

But this morning I was wrapped in a sleeping bag because it was chilly.

Under the heat of summer, it’s not good to sleep in a tent or in a small cabin.

The sun sets about 10pm. And when the mountains surround the town, it starts to become dark about 8pm.

Left Cromwell at 6:30 following SH8 running along the Clutha River.

Had a comfortable tale wind.

After 10am, the sun shines so hard that I sometimes need to take a break under the shade.

Water in the bottle gets hot water and chocolate becomes hot chocolate easily.

When it’s chilly I don’t drink water so much but this afternoon I drank about 3 liter.

But it’s cool enough under the shade.

Following Route 85 from Clyde.

The landscape reminds me of desert plain.

Some more rolling hills on the way.

Met Susan a cyclist from Switzerland as soon as I entered the town of Omakau.

Before 5pm, I checked in at Commercial Hotel in Omakau.

I knew there was a trail called Otago Central Rail Trail along the SH8. But I followed SH8 because I’m not good at running on the gravel road. It’s hard to control the handle bar and I don’t like both my hands shaking on dirt road. Especially when I run the distance carrying heavy stuff, I prefer paved road with smooth surface.

Tomorrow to Ranfurly 55km. I’ll follow the trail. Susan may be following me. She said she would stay at camping ground tonight.

Cool in the morning but hot in the afternoon. Under such climate I have to save the distance in the morning. It’s much smarter.



*Distance Today: 53.21km

*Total Distance from Auckland: 2290.17km

*See Where I am

*See More Photos



No comments:

Post a Comment