12/18/2014

Day34 Christchurch




As soon as I woke up, I started my laundry.


Mr. Hayasaka took me to the City by car.

One of my missions this time is to see what has happened so far after 2.22 Christchurch Earthquake.

First I saw Transitional Cathedral made of paper (cardboard).

At CTV (Canterbury Television) building ruins, 115 people including 3 Japanese exchange students were killed.


Re:Start Mall looked so so active with many tourists.


Original Cathedral reminded me of the Atomic Bomb Dome of Hiroshima.

I was here in 1994 just 20 years ago.

At that time this place was so crowded with people wherever I was. Street performers, musicians, jugglers and tourists were here and there, everywhere.


Whenever I tried to take photos, they shows the scenes of construction somewhere on them. That’s the way it is.


Tsunami and earthquake always bring tragedies no matter how many people were killed, no matter how large the damage was.

Some people got away from the City after losing their jobs or houses. There must have been some people who lost both.

And actually there was some volunteers who did their best to help people in many ways.

Probably there is no Kiwi who doesn’t know about 2.22.

But there are so many people who say “I know about 2.22.” in Auckland but most of them don’t seem to know what has become of Christchurch after that.” That’s what I feel, my personal impression.

Our memory is just like a wind. When the wind blows, something has gone with it.


At 6pm my lecture started at South Christchurch Library.

I tried to introduce my PEACE RUN with some pictures and movies just like I did at some schools in Sydney.

As the event was held just after announcement of yesterday, there were not so many people coming.

8 audience including two Japanese were there. Nigel’s friends Roy and Paul were also eager cyclists. They both listen carefully to my speech.

This event was planned by Nigel who guided me to Christchurch yesterday on his bike.

After my presentation he gave me some gifts which was very familiar to me…(Japanese food)

One of the voices I heard after the presentation was “So impressive. I feel like doing something adventurous.”


After that Mr. Hayasaka and I moved to Mr.Yuge’s place and had dinner there.

He lives in a nice house standing on a hill.

Miso soup, rice and some vegetables were soooo good!!



*Today’s Distance: 0km

*Total Distance from Auckland: 1091.2km

*See Where I am

*See More Photos 

No comments:

Post a Comment