12/12/2014

Day28 Waipapa Bay to Kaikoura



Woke up at 6:40 under a bit chilly air. 11 degrees in my tent.

I wish it would be much warmer. Wrapped in a sleeping bag but only my face felt cold.

Early birds singing around here and the sound of the waves makes me feel fine.

But during my sleep, big trailers and trucks as well as long trains did come and go as I had expected.

Seems like it rained at night.


7:30am late start. 32km to Kaikoura today’s goal.

State Highway 1 runs along the Southern Pacific coast line.

Some small hills but no long hill climb.


On my left hand side was a colony of fur seals!

They seemed quite exhausted after long swimming in the chilly cold sea.

Baby seals were so cute playing with their mothers.


Taking so many pictures of seals that I can’t go on.


Haven’t decided today’s nest. Weekend and tourist spot, hard to find accommodation with no booking or reservation.


20 years ago, when there was no internet, I left everything to chance.

Que sera sera… What will be, will be.

Yes, things will take care of themselves.

If we know everything beforehand, nothing is exciting.

No worries. Things will go my way.

So I make it a rule to find a place to stay wherever I go.

Some kind people may sometimes give me meals and bed.

Or when trouble happens and it may keep me away from going on, there might be a time when I cannot help stay at one place.




Anyway fur seals welcome and please me along the way.

Some of them lay on the road side here and there.

Under a safety fence a barbed wire is stretched around so they cannot get into the highway by mistake.

Most of them lay down even if I got closer, with their eyes trying to say “Leave me alone.”

Some were surprised and rushed away from me.

Their faces always make me feel relaxed.


Whenever I see wildlife, I feel myself protected by great mother nature.

We cannot control the nature. We are controlled by the nature.


 Here’s a YouTube movie of fur selas which dwell along the coastline of the Southern Pacific between Waipapa Bay and Kaikoura.




*Today’s Distance: 32.16km

*Total Distance from Auckland: 905.72km

*See Where I am

*See More Photos 

No comments:

Post a Comment