12/17/2014

Day33 Amberley to Christchurch



Cloudy morning. Looks like it will soon rain. So I got to get ready wearing a rain jacket.

43km today to The Palms, a shopping mall 3km far from City Center.

Almost flat, traffic is a bit busy during morning rush hours.

State Highway 1 turns into a motor way.

I follow the alternative route to Christchurch via Kaiapoi.


Nigel, my friend was there to wait for me to come up.

He’s a cyclist who has traveled in Japan several times.

In 2012 he was riding along Route 45 where I was running about the same time.

He read my blog and often sent me a message to support my run.

Took a short break sometimes and a long break at a cafe, where Nigel treated me cafe latte.


Keeping good pace but still early enough to arrive at the Palms.


And then one taxi stopped just in front of us.

A lady got out of the car and said to me, “Do you remember me?”

I didn’t recognize the face at first but as soon as I noticed a name tag on her chest I realized she was Kate.

What a big surprise!

She once came and visited my town Iga City, Mie in 2010 on vacation. At that time Chihiro my junior of the university was with her.

She has been following me on my blog and has already known I’m running across the country.

Funny how she found me running on the highway.

What a small world!

We said goodbye after shaking hands.



At 2:30 we arrived at the Palms.

Thanks Nigel for supporting and guiding me.

We are supposed to meet tomorrow too.


Stroll around the mall but nothing especially to see and to buy.

People drink coffee and eat ice cream.

I saw many people cueing at gift wrapping corner.

Yes, Christmas is drawing near.

The world seems very peaceful today.


About 4pm, Mr.Hayasaka came and see me by car.

Her little daughter was with him.

We loaded all the stuff and buggy onto his car.

He showed me around Red Zone of Christchurch Earthquake that happened 2.22 in 2011.

It’s like a ghost town. Most of the houses were broken down because of liquidation phenomenon of the ground.

The roads are partly rough, some of them are closed with fence surrounded.

I saw some houses with windows of broken glasses.

It’s strangely quiet. Not a single person can be seen around.


Mr. Hayasaka lives in the south of the City near mountains.

He says epic center of the earthquake was beside his house.

Huge land with vegetable fields. Lots of green with no noises and exhausted gas of cars.


After 3.11 Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan, some Japanese moved to Christchurch and he was the one who took care of them for a while.


He held a welcome party for me. Some Japanese friends of his were together.

We talked about Japan now and then and the future.

I guess I need to think about what I can do for the future of our country.


Mr. Hayasaka owns his vegetable field in his land.

He says we don’t need so much money to live if we grow what we eat.

All we need is wisdom and knowhow not to depend upon money.


Living is the city always stimulates our desire.

“I want this. I need that.”

It’s an endless desire. That’s why we have to work and make money.

What we really need is necessary but there might be something we don’t have to own.


Once we want, forever we want.

That’s the way it is.


For me, a traveler, what I need daily is food and water that keep me living and a small space to sleep at night.


And in addition, some companies…

Or should I say, I have to add dreams and hope for the future on the list of necessity.




*Today’s Distance: 45.21km

*Total Distance from Auckland: 1091.2km

*See Where I am

*See More Photos 

No comments:

Post a Comment