12/25/2014

Day41 Geraldine to Fairlie




On the morning of Christmas day, the high way is so calm.

While people are having fun during Christmas holidays, I have only one road to run.

Cloudy, drizzle but I don’t have to wear a rain jacket.


Sheep, they are just eating grass

I just keep running with no words.

Sheep have nothing to do with Christams. Even if it’s a birthday of Jesus Christ, all sheep need is pasture.

Probably Jesus Christ is the only one whose birthday has been celebrated more than 2000 years all over the world.


I have no religion at all but I hope all the religions will co-exist. Every God will never hope people will fight against each other.


I have no one to talk to, just listening to the song of the wind. All I can do is keep running only one road seeking for the peace of mind



After this trek, I’ll be back in Osaka, Japan and enjoy life with my wife Piapi. We are husband and wife but as I’m running here and there we are far apart. Hope we can spend our lives together with each other.

I didn’t drink and eat until I reached 25km point without stopping.

About 13km point, Andrew, a tour guide and driver stopped his car to say hello to me.

He was on the way back to Christchurch.

Had to climb some peaks the height about 200-250 meters.

Pushing a buggy “VIENTO” is not easy when the grade of the hills  is 8 percent.

I just keep pushing with full length from my arms, shoulders, back and legs.

As long as I keep pushing, VIENTO never goes back.

Gravity forces me to push harder and harder. All I can do is hold on for one more step.

The final peak was about 400 meters, just 8km to Fairlie.

Enjoyed a nice view from the peak.

But downhill is not so easy when pushing VIENTO.

Cyclists don’t have to keep pedaling while going downhills but I need to control the speed. VIENTO can go faster but I have to save or kill speed so that I won’t damage my knees and ankles.

It’s just like controlling horses. VINETO and I have to be the one. All we need is unity. I have to run with VIENTO so that it  should be a part of me.


Just a few kilometers before Fairlie, the filed was completely yellow full of rapeseed .

The scene makes me feel so good!


After 3pm, I checked in at Fairlie Top10 Holiday Park.

Mr. Ash the owner allowed me to stay at cabin for free!! Thanks, Mr. Ash!

Whole town is busy in Japan on Christmas day but here the town of Fairlie is just like a ghost town, all the stores are closed and the road is quiet.

Tomorrow I’ll be in Lake Tekapo. It seems all the hotels, motels and hostels are full. I am going to pitch my tent in the yard of youth hostel.

I hope I can see the sky full of stars at night.


*Essay I wrote just 20 years ago when I first visited Lake Tekapo

"Give Me A Peace Of Mind"


*Distance Today: 45.94km

*Total Distance from Auckland: 1283.44km

*See Where I am

*See More Photos 

No comments:

Post a Comment