12/27/2014

Day42 Fairlie to Lake Tekapo



Started at 6:20. Cloudy morning. Cool but need no outer jacket.

This is a dry area. Drought climate cannot keep grasses green.

There were a couple of ski resort area on the way.

They say there are 25 people living in town of Burke’s Pass. That’s what Julie the owner of the motel told me.

The town was established in 1857 and the former motel 1869.

The first settler from the Europe spent much time building this town.

At the same time Japan was on the way to modern age from Edo to Meiji Era.

Iandie the cyclist and triathlete was riding between Timaru and Twizel for training. She looks at the age 50s but very fit.


The Southern Alps look great of which the peaks are covered with snow.

And the lupins smells good.


Went over the Burke’s Pass (709m above sea level) and after that I kept climbing.

Hills were not so steep, just kept on climbing slowly.

Final 3km I saw the marvelous color of Lake Tekapo.

That milky blue is still the same as 20 years ago.

On the way I stopped by at the monument of historic church beside the lake.

Sometimes I enjoy being talked to by some curious tourists.


YHA Lake Tekapo was full even in tent site.

So I ran one more kilometer to Motor Camp Lake Tekapo.

Lake Tekapo is one of the most popular tourist spots.

And it’s weekend of Christmas holidays when schools are off for summer vacation.

The scenery is totally different from as it was 20 years ago.

High class mansions were built in a row. Town center was full of stores and shops.

Motor camp I checked in was full except tent site.

There were people cueing at hot shower. Kitchen was busy with people who are getting ready for the dinner.


If the sky is clear at night, I may see starry sky.

This are is famous for International Dark Reserve. I’m looking forward to seeing it.




*Distance Today: 46.89km

*Total Distance from Auckland: 1330.33km

*See Where I am

*See More Photos 

No comments:

Post a Comment