12/11/2014

Day27 Ward to Waipapa Bay



Woke up at 5am.

Rain seemed to stop yesterday afternoon but it was raining again this morning.

Weather forecast says it’s cloudy today.

Anyway I have to head for Kaikoura. Wind stopped and it’s not so chilly.

Another cyclist from England came here after German cyclist yesterday.

Both of them were sleeping in their tents.

They are both young enough to have tolerance to do anything they can do.


Started running at 7am.

Drizzle for a while. Chilly but soon it became warm but no blue skies.

After I climbed up some hills, I was running on a flat road along the Pacific coast.

Shoulders were narrow but traffic is very quiet.


Around 28km point they caught up with me.

Christopher and Marks.

Christopher is riding a small-wheeled bike with a trailer.

Marks puts a guitar on his rear carrier.

They are on their way to Kaikoura. We took some pictures of each other and said goodbye.


Sea breeze are nice, which reminds me of the scenes of Japan.

Felt like I had been here so many times.

Yes, I was here just 20 years ago.


After that, I just kept running.

Some small communities on the way but no towns, no shops.

Nothing but highway on 83km between Ward and Kaikoura where people just drive by.


About 4pm I checked in at Waipapa Bay Campground.

No caravan just tent site.

This is the first time I pitch my tent in New Zealand.

Not so cold but at night until dawn it will be cold.

There are hot shower and simple kitchen.

The owner Jenny gave me a smoothie and fresh vegetables.


Out of network tonight.

I hope Piapi my wife and my supporters won’t worry about me.



*Today’s Distance: 52.32km

*Total Distance from Auckland: 873.56km

*See Where I am

*See More Photos 

No comments:

Post a Comment