7/21/2024

DAY42: Golega-Santarem

IMG_6310.jpg

This morning, I met a young American guy from Louisiana in the kitchen of the guesthouse, who said he had left Lisbon a week before. It's nice to meet other travelers, even though I don't meet many people.

When I looked at my buggy as I was about to leave in the morning, I saw that the right rear tire was flat. There were two thorns from a plant stuck in it. It was a small hole.

Because of this, I started 30 minutes late at around 6:30. Today it was 30 kilometers to Santarem.

I took a break after running 10 kilometers. The area around Golegã is a grain-producing region with vast corn fields. It's almost a flat area with no hills.

I occasionally passed some pilgrims. I took a break in the town of Saldanha.

A strange phenomenon where the road indicated by Google Maps was not there. I was guided to a farm road, and while the "research route" button kept going round and round, I was forced to run around a vast tomato field for about 40 minutes. I was almost stuck in the Bermuda Devil's Triangle.

This sometimes happens on the continent, and the cause is unknown.

I was happy that there were no hills today, but at the end there was a heart-breaking hill just before entering Santarem...

I entered the town of Santarem at 2pm, but killed time until 3pm, when it was time to check into the hostel. The heat had eased somewhat. I wonder if a heatwave will hit this area next week.

Due to a Google Maps monster, I took a detour of about 5km.

I am so grateful and moved that I was able to finish another day's run safely!



No comments:

Post a Comment