11/21/2014

Day7 Tauranga to Rotorua



Woke up at 4am to get ready for early departure.

When I tried to get out of the hallway, I noticed the door of the left-side chain locked.

Usually the reception is open at 8am. I cannot wait.

I have no idea what to do.

But I made up my mind to unload whole the luggage of mine and folded down my buggy, then got out of the narrow door.

Left the city of Tauranga at 6:40.

One thing I have to keep in my mind is…

everything that happens each day has its own meaning. What’s important is to think about the meaning, not to complain about the matter.

Accept what’s going on around me as it is and see how it matters to me.


Followed State Highway 36 getting out of the city.

Entering the highway, no shops at all.

All I saw was vast farm land and orchard.

Seems like sheep cows and horses creating peaceful world.

Hills were tougher and harder than I had imagined.

I passed more than 20, maybe 30 hills along the way.


Some were 10 present grade, too steep to climb pushing my buggy “VIENTO” but I got to keep pushing. It took one second to go forward 1 meter.

I was often wondering if I could reach Rotorua before the sunset.


Shoulders were not so wide but luckily the traffic was not so heavy.

Last 10km I followed a quiet trail for bikers and walkers.


Had some chances to enjoy conversation with some curious Kiwis.

They often asked me common questions such as why I was doing this travel, how long I could run per day…

“I saw you three times on the highway today.”

That’s what a lady told me.

4 guys from Nepal cheered me handing me out a bottled beer.

A gentleman stopped his car and said, “Do you need a ride?”

I am glad if someone I never knew treated me that way.

12 hours had passed since I left Tauranga when I reached the city of Rotorua.

Finally I made it.

I checked in at Spa-Lodge Backpackers Hostel.

Akira, the owner is from Ibaraki Prefecture Japan.

He’s been here for almost 10 years.

He was kind enough to give me free-stay for two nights!!

Thanks so much!!


As I was totally exhausted from 62km-run, I had to do some shopping at Countdown nearby.

Now I’m sure I can run longer with less fuel.


Rotorua is famous for hot spa(Onsen).

Most of the motels and hotels have hot spa facilities.


A week has passed since I left Auckland.

Funny how time flies.

I guess I’m not used to running yet.

Is it because of the climate or aging? I don’t know why.

280-300km per week means 1000km per month.

I don’t mind the distance or pace. Take it slow.

Going to take a day-off tomorrow.


*Today’s Distance: 62.86km

*Total Distance from Auckland: 272.81km

*See More Photos




No comments:

Post a Comment