11/19/2014

Day5 Waihi to Omokoroa



Repeating the same thing everyday while traveling.

What’s different is the type of accomodation or situation I’m in.

Leaving Waihi at 6:45. Following State Highway 2 all the way.

Shoulders of the road are as wide as my buggy “VIENTO” but how sad on the bridge shoulders are gone.

Most of the bridge is as long as 20 to 30 meters. I have to rush and cross before the car passing me.

Cars following me care about me while I care about cars following me.

Log trucks often come and go. That’s only when I get serious.


Rest areas are places where I relax myself. Sometimes I have to take my shoes off.

Just one year ago I finished crossing the Nullarbor Plain, the desert plain which stretches as long as 1200km between Western and South Australia.

When I reached Ceduna, the eastern entrance of the Nullarbor, I was so happy as to shed tears.

Had a tough and hard time as for food and water.

I was not able to eat and drink enough.

One year has passed now I eat just 1.5 to 2 meals per day.

I can run 40-60 km without eating much.

Nuts and dried fruits, cracker and water are all I can eat.

That’s an important lesson that I learned.

How do I survive on the three continents I got to go?


Passing the town of Katikati around noon.

Took a break at a park near the river.


Rolling hills annoyed me a lot.

Wind was gusty and when it was cloudy, it was so chilly.

Some scattered shower as well.


About 3pm, I checked in at caravan park in Omokoroa.

A friendly lady welcomed me.

Tonight I stay at caravan with a queen bed, 2 single beds and kitchen in it.

A beach is quite close but it’s too chilly to enjoy swimming.

Tomorrow I’ll be in Tauranga just 17km.

Rotorua and Taupo are not so far.

Little by little I am getting into the middle of North Island.


Today’s Distance: 45.36km

Total Distance from Aucklad: 189.43km

See more photos



No comments:

Post a Comment