1/14/2014

Day136 Bellbird Creek to Can River 37.4km

Been out of network here in the mountain area.

Heat almost knocked me out yesterday.

Today I started at 6am.

I just want to finish as early as possible before it gets hot.


This mountain route reminds me of running in the Rocky Mountains while I ran across the US in 2011.

Hills are not so steep but up & downs repeat endlessly, which damages me on the knees.

After 10am, the sun shines so sharp that I feel heat sticking into my skin.

I remember when I ran in the heatwave 48 degrees in Kingman, Kansas.

It's just like running on the frying pan heated on the oven.

Just 20-minute-run gives me heart attack.

The heat seems like we need to drink water as often as possible. Otherwise I'll be overheated.

Such heat as 9 out of 10 runners will be knock down if they keep running for 1 hour under this heat...


Or heat like a kangaroo hit by a trailer can easily and quickly  be steak on the highway...



One surprising meeting today…

It was on October 3, the day I left Esperance for Norseman that I met a guy named Andrew.


I was at a loss just after an accident of my buggy.

The shaft of the front wheel was broken down.

I tried hitch hiking. Andrew was the first one who stopped his car for me.

He gave me a ride to a bike shop in Esperance and after that he drove back where we had met.

I re-started my run only 40 minutes after the accident occurred.


Yes, that Andrew was on the highway with his two kids.

They were on their way back from summer camp.

He said he was checking my blog and was following the track of my running across Australia.


It was so nice meeting him again!

I thanked him again for his great help.

Such meeting as this is always the origin of the power which keeps me going on.

May my travel be filled with lots of meeting!


Before 1pm, I finished my run at a motel in Cann River.

I was nearly overheated because of the heat and dry climate.

Cool summer was over and hot summer weather will last, I guess.

I may have to think about the route from here.

I'd better take the coastal route...

It's stupid to camp out under the temperature 40 degrees.

And it's also a suicidal action to run 40-50km under the heatwave especially in the afternoon.

I was lucky in the Nullarbor Plain when it was cool enough.

If I had run in the Nullarbor Plain under such heat, I must have given up for sure.





Thanks Andrew! We'll meet again somewhere along the road!!



*Today's Distance: 37.4km

*Total Distance from Perth: 4582.3km

*See More Photos 

No comments:

Post a Comment