2/09/2015

Christchurch020915


The final morning in New Zealand. It’s time to go back home.

I have been staying with Mr.Yuge in Cashmere since Thursday, when I ran the final.


He is also Osakan, who used to travel abroad a lot when he was young.

There are so many things to learn from him. He enjoys many kinds of activities such as piano and karate. I should say he’s the very expert who’s really enjoying his life.

Also he has a challenger’s spirit. He tries anything interesting whether it seems difficult or not. And once he finds interesting, he continues it.

Extremely active for late 60s. Super middle-ged in many ways.

But now he tries to live a simple life.

He told me many stories about his experience and what he had learned himself.

I realized how ignorant I had been and there were more and more I had to learn about the future of Japan as a citizen of the world.


In the afternoon I borrowed a mountain bike from Mr.Yuge and rode to a shopping mall in Riccarton to see Roberto and Annika.


Roberto is a Mexican, Annika a German. They are also global cyclists whom I met in Australia for the first time last year.

Actually we have met so many times so far.

On the final run to Sydney Opera House, they joined on their bicycles.

And just one year after we met in the same southern hemisphere.

In December last year Roberto came and see me at container mall in Christchurch while Annika was at work.

And On the final run 4 days ago, Annika joined while Roberto was in North Island on business. It means Annika is the only person who joined my final run both in Australia and in New Zealand.

We went to a food court and talked about how we had spent our time so far and our future plans.

They are planning to got to Alaska via Hawaii and cycled down to Mexico, a hometown of Roberto.

We are all just like family members as we have met so many times here and there. And I’m sure we will see again somewhere along the road.

Hopefully we’ll have a chance to meet again in Europe next year.


After riding back to Cashmere in the rain, I took a shower and soon after that Mr.Hayasaka came.

He gave me a ride to the Christchurch International Airport.


He was no doubt a key person in New Zealand. He took the best care of me while I was in Christchurch.

He was also a runner. He said he would his very best in running in a positive way.

At 5:30 I said goodbye to him and I was alone again but this time I was on my way back home by air.


Yes, I had a really good time here in New Zealand even if I sometimes had a hard time.

Just as half-long as Running Across Australia in term and distance.



Thanks people in New Zealand whom I met on the way!

I’m super happy to have met and known you!!

I hope the network will become wider and larger.


Yes, we’re all connected to each other.

I cannot see whole 7.2 billion people on the planet but I keep meeting someone as long as I keep traveling and the network keeps growing bigger and bigger.

That’s why I keep going to see as many people as possible.

It’s high time now for me to live, run and travel.

I have to find the meaning and value why I run on two legs of my own on only one road.

Although I can’t say it’s perfect and right, that’s the best way for a running traveler.

But there’s still a road I have to run.

I run on the road so that people will have a peace of mind.



Some more photos


No comments:

Post a Comment