7/18/2012

Day 40: Minamisoma-Towa


I took DeTour route to avoid the area contaminated by radioactivity.

Minamisoma is just 10 miles from the area.

We still cannot go farther south.

Following the Fukushima R-12 and National Highway R-349.

After I crossed the Yagisawa Pass, I entered Iitatemura Village.

Iitatemura Village now open to public after


But there are few people who come back.

Most of the young generation have moved to different places such as Iwaki, Fukushima or Koriyama.

I felt as though I had been running in the ghost town, which I often saw in the Mid-West of the US.

They didn't want to move out but they had to.

All of sudden people were gone.

City hall, post office, stores and houses are all empty except a few .

I saw a signboard on the door of the store which said 24-hours OPEN, which made me feel sad.

I entered Kawamata Cho next to Iitatemura and talked with a woman at the grocery store.

She moved from other town which now belongs to the radiation warning area.

"Without Nuclear Plant...everything would be OK...people, houses and business..."

But it's too late.

"Fukushima would not be what it used to be if nothing had been changed."


*Distance Today: (54.0 km)

*Total Distance from Wakkanai: (1586.66km)























More photos on KAY'S BLOG

http://kaytaka.blog35.fc2.com/blog-entry-2030.html

No comments:

Post a Comment