6/23/2015

Okinawa Memorial Day


Today is Okinawa Memorial Day, which is a public holiday observed in Japan's Okinawa Prefecture annually on June 23 to remember the lives lost during the Battle of Okinawa.

I wonder why it is not celebrated nationally throughout Japan.

We cannot erase the history that 20 thousand lives were killed in the battle.

But I’m sure we can create a brand new history of ours by making the very moment filled with love and peace.

It’s been 43 years since Okinawa was returned to Japan.

There are still so many problems in Okinawa in many ways.

May peace come to those who live there.


There’s something I can do for world peace by running.

I got to run wishing for eternal peace all over the world.

That’s what I said to myself when I stood in front of the Peace Monument at the southernmost point of Japan.

So that we all keep smiling with warmth and gentleness…

We human beings are all connected to each other under the same blue sky and on the planet earth.

I’ll keep on running until the very day we become one.


 Photo: Deigo or Tiger Claw, the official flower of Okinawa Prefecture

No comments:

Post a Comment