5/26/2015

How To Get Satisfaction


I heard a heat wave attack India.

50 degrees Celsius(122 degrees Fahrenheit) is the temperature which can kill people.

They say old-taxis don’t even have air conditioner in India.

On the contrary, there’s serious shortage of electric power in addition to poverty, people have to do without the air-conditioner and the electric fan which only some people can afford.

But in summer here in Japan, most of us know that we can keep our room cool only by pushing a button of a remote controller,

People complain about the summer heat but it’s still not higher than 40 degrees C(104 degrees F)

We’ll find in almost every corners convenience stores and vending machines. You can get cold drinks, popsicle or ice lolly if you have some changes wherever you are.

One day in the desert, I was running alone in a heat wave.

Although I had no cooler box, I was so thirsty I really wanted something chilly to drink.

Then I rolled my water bottle with wet towel and started waving fan(sense) by hand for cooling.

I waved it so very hard to get cold water for about 20 minutes.

I got smeared with sweat but I was so glad to taste as cold water as about 20 degrees C (66 degrees F)in my heated tent as hot as about 45 degrees C(114 degrees F).

I realized how our civilization had been born.

“How on earth does convenience create happiness?”

That’s the question that occurred to me then.

No matter how inconvenient it is, ingenuities created by us in our inconveniences keep us alive.

It's not bad living in basic life without conveniences.

We can get satisfied only with what we have.

Such ideas are hard to be born in our daily lives.

Now I’m not in India but I tried to imagine as if I had been there for a moment today.

No comments:

Post a Comment