Day 3: Gebze to Körfez (Turkey)



Day 3. Woke up at 4:00 AM. My legs and lower back are sore. If I can just get through this third day, I’ll be okay.


Took a shower and relaxed a bit.


Today’s route covers 35 kilometers to Körfez. There aren't many climbs, and I should be able to run along the seaside promenade again.


The weather has been clear for a while, but it looks like there will be a lot of rain next week.


My body is gradually shifting into "traveler mode." I’ll accept the aches and pains here and there. No complaining.


I’m thinking of taking a rest day in İzmit to recover and make adjustments.


Had a delicious breakfast just after 7:00 AM.




It was a buffet-style meal: boiled eggs, ham, cheese, pickled olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, coffee, and bread.






Packed up my gear and set off at 7:30 AM.


However, I got a flat tire before I’d even gone 100 meters.




A flat tire—the first hurdle of the day.


While I was repairing it in front of a bank that hadn't opened yet, my pump broke—hurdle number two.


Fortunately, I had a spare pump, so I managed to save the situation.




Swapped the inner tube and started moving again just after 8:00 AM.


The third hurdle: the D100 highway is essentially an expressway.




On Route D110, the shoulder is barely as wide as a buggy—or even narrower.


Large vehicles overtake me while passing dangerously close. My flag pole gets hit by passing vehicles a few times; it’s terrifying every time it happens.


Riding along a narrow shoulder, feeling exposed and vulnerable—it’s a familiar experience.


Is there a seaside promenade?


According to Google Maps, I have to follow this D100 highway for a grueling 24 kilometers.


There are no alternative routes. It’s an industrial zone, so the traffic consists mostly of large vehicles—trailers, dump trucks, and semi-trucks.


I push on silently amidst the noise, dust, and exhaust fumes. It’s scary when large vehicles crowd me off the road.


My first break was at a small shop in Hereke, where I bought a cola and an energy drink.


Like a highway, the D100 has ramps where vehicles enter and exit.


You have to be careful when crossing these ramps so as not to get in the way of other traffic.


I spotted a BIM store along the frontage road and decided to stop there.


It’s a shame I missed the entrance to the seaside park and ended up just riding straight along the D110.




Just past 3:00 PM, I was nearing my hotel in Körfez. I picked up some *pide* (Turkish flatbread) to go before arriving.




That 24-kilometer stretch of the D110 felt like an endurance test.


Tomorrow’s ride to İzmit is short, but I wonder if I’ll have to travel this same road again.


Today's distance: 33.4 km


Total distance from Istanbul: 83.6 km


*Click here for photos taken today


*Click here for the video playlist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY36 Last Night in Taiwan (Taoyuan)

DAY 37 Taoyuan International Airport-KIX

DAY35 Taoyuan