Shanghai to Istanbul (Turkey 2026)



The second day starts at Shanghai Pudong Airport.


The gate area has become quite crowded. I am incredibly sleepy. Turkey—situated at the western edge of Asia and the eastern edge of Europe—is by no means close to Japan.


Most of the passengers bound for Istanbul are young people in their twenties; groups of young women and couples are particularly noticeable.


This is likely due to the long National Day holiday in China, though it may also reflect the fact that many people there have become economically prosperous.


Boarding began shortly after 12:30 AM.


I took off from Shanghai at 1:20 AM.


Since sitting for long periods isn't good for you, I had walked around the airport quite a bit beforehand. The temperature inside the terminal was low and chilly; hardly anyone was dressed lightly.


About two hours after takeoff, the next in-flight meal was served.


Even though I was sleepy, I still had an appetite. This time, it was chicken rice with onions, accompanied by fruit, a biscuit, and apple juice. A bread roll was handed out only after I had finished everything else.


When I’m desperately sleepy but unable to lie down, I often experience strange, vivid dreams that feel almost like hallucinations.


I frequently had such experiences back when I was a teacher and would only sleep once every two or three days. When you have to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously with just one body, sleep starts to feel like a waste of time. That mindset was a mistake.


And that is how I ended up suffering from symptoms resembling a sleep disorder.


I'm about three hours away from Istanbul now. Then came the morning meal: meat pasta, yogurt, agar jelly with sweet red bean paste, a bread roll, and orange juice. A croissant was served at the very end. The portion size was just right.


They say in-flight Wi-Fi is available, but it’s barely usable.


Upon arrival, I’ll go through immigration, exchange some currency, collect my luggage, and take a pre-booked taxi to the hotel. I’m mentally preparing for this morning’s mission. The journey truly begins once I leave the city of Istanbul and hit the road, but the preparations leading up to that moment are just as important.


Being offline reminds me of travel in the analog era—a time before email, LINE, or Messenger, when letters and phone calls were the only ways to communicate.


In today’s digital age, we can voice and share anything—even the most trivial matters—but back then, we were limited in the messages we could send. Perhaps that is why words seemed to carry more weight.


One hour left until Istanbul. Everything is going smoothly. The only issue is that the cabin is a bit chilly, and I’m starting to feel the cold.


The plane has crossed the vast expanse of Asia from east to west and is now flying over the Black Sea.


Arrived at Istanbul Airport just after 8:00 AM local time. Back online after 25 hours. It’s 15°C with a light drizzle. Now, on to immigration.


After clearing immigration, I waited for my luggage to appear on the conveyor belt.


My duffel bag came out quickly, but the buggy was nowhere to be seen.


For a moment, the thought of lost luggage crossed my mind, but in the very end, it arrived as "oversized baggage."


I managed to catch my pre-booked taxi without a hitch and am now heading toward the Old City. I can finally relax and breathe a sigh of relief.


I spotted a rainbow while driving—the first one I’ve seen in a long time. Seeing a rainbow surely means something good is in store.


We’re stuck in traffic on an Istanbul highway, with police sirens wailing loudly.


It took a little over an hour, but I’ve arrived at my hotel in the Old City.


Check-in isn't until 1:00 PM. Since it’s raining, I’ve ducked into a nearby café to grab a bite to eat.


There are a lot of hills in this area, too. It’s finally time for the Turkey trip to begin!


I checked into my hotel in Istanbul at 1:00 PM, amidst weather where the rain kept coming and going.


It took a long time to get here, but I could finally settle in and breathe a sigh of relief.


In the evening, I headed out for a meal and some shopping while a light drizzle fell.


The streets are always congested, and the constant honking of horns makes it quite noisy.


You have to be careful on rainy days, as the sloping cobblestone streets can be slippery.


Dining out might not cost much differently than in Japan...


While there are plenty of cheap groceries at the supermarket, many items cost about the same as back home.


Still, the food here is delicious—I think I’m going to get hooked on it.


*I’ve taken lots of photos. Since I can’t post them all on the blog, please take a look at this album.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY36 Last Night in Taiwan (Taoyuan)

DAY 37 Taoyuan International Airport-KIX

DAY35 Taoyuan