Day 2: Tuzla to Gebze (Turkey)

Woke up at 4:00 AM.


Severe muscle soreness was concentrated in my lower back, upper back, shoulders, and arms rather than my legs. I took a hot shower and massaged the sore areas with the hot water.


Even though I run regularly, I rarely push a buggy up and down hills.


I could have taken a rest day, but due to accommodation arrangements, I aimed for the town of Gebze, about 15 kilometers away.


Decided to check out a bit later than usual.


Breakfast at 5:00 AM: banana, oat biscuits, raisins, dates, orange, apple juice, and salted drinking yogurt.


A late start at 11:00 AM.


Navigating through residential areas and the town center was fine, as there were sidewalks.


The first tricky spot: I was guided onto a road resembling the D100 expressway—restricted to motor vehicles.


It ran parallel to the highway, and the exhaust fumes were intense.




There were sections where the shoulder simply disappeared. Running on the left side of the road felt terrifying, as oncoming traffic seemed to be charging straight at me.


The second tricky spot: The sidewalk vanished halfway along a fenced road, forcing me to turn back.



Sidewalks here aren't always reliable.


The third tricky spot: I had to climb a seemingly endless hill to enter the city of Gebze.




According to Google Maps, I climbed from an elevation of 3 meters to 196 meters today.


My pace was incredibly slow. Upon entering the town of Çayırova, I encountered the first steep hill—short, but with a sharp incline.




At the top of the climb, just as the road began to descend, I found a BIM supermarket and stopped to shop.



A shop cat greeted me out front.


2:00 PM: Took a break in a park within Gebze city. Had a quick snack.


After taking quite a while to climb the hill, I reached the peak and found myself in the center of Gebze.


It reminded me of the Shibuya Scramble Crossing. Image


I passed an open plaza—resembling Tennoji Park—where a mosque is located; just beyond it, major road construction was underway. I followed a detour to reach my hotel.


I finished the day's journey at a hotel in Gebze just before 3:00 PM. I didn't overdo it today, covering 14 kilometers.


I freshened up with a shower. It was the right call to cut the day short; pushing the buggy uphill puts a heavy strain on the body.


I haven't stepped into any cafes or restaurants since leaving Istanbul.


I prefer enjoying items bought at a supermarket in the comfort of my hotel room.


Something unusual I bought today: *Şalgam Suyu*, a Turkish fermented beverage containing chili peppers.




Simply put, it tastes a bit like the brine from soy-sauce-marinated foods—but with a spicy kick.


It’s what Vegemite might taste like if turned into a drink (lol).


It seems like it would be good for the body, though one sip makes me crave water. It might be great for replenishing salt.


I bought it thinking it was grape juice, so I was quite startled when I actually tasted it.




Today's distance: 14 km


Total distance from Istanbul: 50.2 km


*Click here for photos and videos taken on this day


*Click here for the YouTube playlist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY36 Last Night in Taiwan (Taoyuan)

DAY 37 Taoyuan International Airport-KIX

DAY35 Taoyuan