Istanbul, Turkey: Part 2
It is my third day in Istanbul; tomorrow, I finally start running.
I woke up at 4:00 AM and spent some time working on my PC.
Just after 7:00 AM—once the sun was up—I headed out into the city. It was a clear day with a temperature of 15°C, expected to rise to 20°C by midday.
I visited Sultanahmet Park, home to the famous Blue Mosque.
There were quite a few tourists around, including many groups on organized tours.
I had a late breakfast at a café.
I ordered *pide*, a traditional Turkish flatbread shaped like a boat—often described as Turkish pizza.
It must have been a good 40 centimeters long. I was surprised by its size; the menu photo hadn't prepared me for just how big it was!
I managed to finish it, but it left me feeling incredibly full. It’s essentially just a round pizza stretched out, but it was a bit too much to eat on a day when I wasn't running.
That’s when the "incident" occurred...
Just as I was checking my smartphone after taking a photo, what should appear but... well, look at this!
Is this a common sight in Istanbul cafés?
The staff chased the cat out, but it stayed right outside the window, staring intently at me.
Later, another cat came by looking for a handout, but a young female staff member spoke to it and took it outside to feed it.
Cat lovers would surely fall in love with Istanbul!
Cats in Turkey aren't so much "house pets" as they are "community cats." They seem to be loved and cared for by the local people.
It reminded me of Japan back in the Showa era.
Back then, rather than keeping cats strictly indoors, there were likely many cats that simply lived within the neighborhood.
I had already finished the final check on my buggy yesterday.
Today, all that’s left is to stock up on water and food.
Since tomorrow’s finish line is also within Istanbul and there are shops everywhere, I shouldn't have any trouble finding what I need.
I haven't decided on a place to stay yet; I plan to figure that out once I get there.
*Today's photos and videos are HERE
Comments
Post a Comment